LTC firearms
Create Post

Thread: LTC firearms

LTC firearms

I was wondering if upon completion of boot do you recieve a ltc (license to carry firearms) or do you have to still aquire that from the state you live in?

You would still have to go through individual state requirements for carryig a concealed weapon, as far as I know.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

Correct

You must go thru your state of residence.

And probably be 21, like alcohol.

www.gunlawguide.com

I keep a current copy of their publication, since I travel at times.

Semper Fi

www.packing.org will tell you what you have to do. But, it isn't really an option if you're living in the barracks. You can't keep a weapon in your room, so it is either in the armory or the home of someone you know that is married. You can be trusted to operate millions of dollars worth of equipment and go into combat to defend the country, but not to keep a gun. Doesn't make sense, but I also don't disagree. Strange things happen in the barracks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by futureMarine418
    I was wondering if upon completion of boot do you recieve a ltc (license to carry firearms) or do you have to still aquire that from the state you live in?

Being in the military, regardless of branch, does NOT give you automatic lawful authority to carry a firearm, concealed or otherwise. Military members are armed only upon lawful orders of their chain of command. Concealed weapons require a specific letter of authorization (non-combat zone) and are normally only granted to people in certain jobs (CID, counterintelligence, executive protection, etc) and those are normally only good while ON DUTY and in certain circumstances. A rare few might have 24/7 authorization. Most general officers do. Most states that I am aware of will respect those letters of authorization.

Not counting Vietnam or Desert Storm, in 21-years in the military I carried a concealed pistol three times while supporting the Secret Service during Presidential visits to my base and that was at their request. But I was also a civilian police officer at the time too, which was one reason I was assigned to that particular detail.

Furthermore, military regulations and federal law supercede any state CCW law on federal property, including military bases.

The only military unit I know that has blanket authority to carry concealed weapons 24/7 are the actual special operators in DELTA Force (or whatever they call themselves these days). Team Six in SEALS used to be able to carry 24/7, but I don't know if the successor unit still does.

I wouldn't worry about possessing a private firearm on base for a while if I were you. It will be one less worry for you while learning the ropes and making deployments. I didn't own a gun until I was a sergeant with five years in and kept them at a SSgt friend's family quarters who had a good gun safe.

Thank you everyone for your info.

Thread Information